Monday 16 April 2012

You Can Collect 'Em All! The "About Me" Series at Your Fingertips



Fifty-six posts long, my autobiographical series is about my life growing up, starting out on my own and, eventually, putting everything together. It was a pleasure (and deeply cathartic) to write it. I feel that I have had the opportunity to re-examine various crucial parts of my life. I also hope for two things: that my folks, should they at some point read my posts, not see me as blaming them for any of this as they, like any other parents and family, did their best raising me with what they knew at the time; also, that others transitioning, or about to, are helped by my story, but do not get stuck into it, or any other one narrative as the standard; we are all individuals. Should my hopes be fulfilled, then my coming out will have done as much good as it can possibly do for myself and for others.

A word about my use of YouTube music and old TV and movie clips. I thought early on in the series that using music and TV that I grew up with would create some context for the world that I was in at the time. As I continued writing, however, my choices became less about what was going on around me at the same time, and more about what I personally listened to, was interested in, and was feeling. I began to add subtitles that referenced both the music and a major theme of that particular chapter of my life. May it enrich your reading experience.

Here, then, is a list of direct links to each of the "About Me" installments. Please feel free to comment on any or all of them.


About Me, Part 1: Black and White
About Me, Part 2: Old Days
About Me, Part 3: All Alone
About Me, Part 4: Transformations
About Me, Part 5: Upside Down
About Me, Part 6: Do You Really Want To Hurt Me
About Me, Part 7: Time, Clock of The Heart
About Me, Part 8: Owner of a Lonely Heart
About Me, Part 9: Total Eclipse
About Me, Part 10: Here Comes The Rain Again

About Me, Part 11: Let's Go Crazy
About Me, Part 12: That Old Emotion
About Me, Part 13: Head Over Heels
About Me, Part 14: Too Much To Dream
About Me, Part 15: Break On Through
About Me, Part 16: Strange Days
About Me, Part 17: Do It With Ease
About Me, Part 18: What I Am
About Me, Part 19: Lost In Space
About Me, Part 20: In Yer Face!

About Me, Part 21: To Be
About Me, Part 22: Where I'm From
About Me, Part 23: Up The Ladder, To The Roof
About Me, Part 24: Still Water
About Me, Part 25: Our House
About Me, Part 26: Stop! Look! Listen!
About Me, Part 27: Here Comes That Rainy Day Feeling, Again
About Me, Part 28: Too Late To Turn Back Now
About Me, Part 29: I've Got Work To Do
About Me, Part 30: Drift Away

About Me, Part 31: What's Come Over Me?
About Me, Part 32: Show and Tell
About Me, Part 33: Touch a Hand, Make a Friend
About Me, Part 34: You Little Trustmaker
About Me, Part 35: Loneliest House On The Block
About Me, Part 36: This Masquerade
About Me, Part 37: Castles In The Sand
About Me, Part 38: You'll Never Walk Alone
About Me, Part 39: In Between The Heartaches
About Me, Part 40: Make It Easy On Yourself

About Me, Part 41: Turn Down Day
About Me, Part 42: Explosion In My Soul
About Me, Part 43: The Weight
About Me, Part 44: No Easy Way Down
About Me, Part 45: Going In Circles
About Me, Part 46: Approaching Lavender
About Me, Part 47: Shake a Tail Feather
About Me, Part 48: Lucky Me
About Me, Part 49: Got To Be There
About Me, Part 50: The Echo

About Me, Part 51: I'll Chase The Blues Away
About Me, Part 52: Let Me In
About Me, Part 53: Where or When
About Me, Part 54: Tidal Wave
About Me, Part 55: I Believe To My Soul
About Me, Part 56: There'll Come a Time

1 comment:

  1. Vanessa Tara, you never really know someone until you walk in their shoes. From being a guest on your radio show I discovered only one aspect that jakes you unique. Thank you for sharing your story. You truly are one remarkable person, and I am very PROUD to be your friend. All the very best to you in all your pursuits! R. Mark Desjardins

    ReplyDelete